It is Winning with Women Wednesday and MILSPRAY’s CFO & SVP of Operations, Liz DeSerio would like to share with you twelve tips to help you in your journey up the corporate ladder.
Did you know that although women make up 47% of the US workforce, they only make up about 15% of the C-Suite positions at Fortune 500 companies? Here are some ideas to shatter the glass ceiling and move into the C-Suite.
1. Set ambitious goals. Don’t be afraid to achieve them.
2. Dress for success. To get the part, act and dress the part. You will gain more respect if dressed professionally (think higher collars, longer skirts and no jeans) but don’t be an empty suit.
3. Be confident. Do not minimize your successes.
4. Always act professionally. Treat colleagues as you would like to be treated.
5. Be an opportunist. Take full advantage of the opportunities presented to you; don’t let them slip by.
6. Lead by example. Become a role model to all levels of your organization.
7. Learn something new every day and in every meeting. Make this a habit.
8. Work outside your comfort zone, regularly. The only way to grow is to take on a new challenge – you’ll never know what you can achieve until you try.
9. Embrace your mentors and learn to be one. Teaching and mentoring can take place at any level in any organization.
10. Listen to your team. Don’t be afraid to learn from them and their diverse knowledge base.
11. There is no good news or bad news; there is just news. When relaying news do not be overly excited, apologetic or defensive, just deliver the news professionally and calmly. Answer any questions simply and objectively; more importantly answer the question that is asked. Fully listen to the question and allow yourself to think before you answer; do not feel the need to fill in the ‘dead air’ particularly with ‘ums’ and ‘ahs’.
12. Be pragmatic, fair and honest. Emotionally charged, unfair and dishonest people do not belong in the “C” Suite.
Liz DeSerio joined MILSPRAY in 2007 and has held positions of increasing responsibility within the company. She has extensive experience in government contracting, management and the implementation of strategic objectives for the company. DeSerio earned a Bachelor of Science in Accounting with a minor in Finance from Canyon College and a Master Certificate in Government Contract Management from Villanova University.
Her strong financial expertise and global business experience will be of great value in her new role. DeSerio will lead strategic initiatives that support the company’s efforts to provide competitive solutions to customers around the world.